How do you help support your immune system going into the cold/flu season?
With winter upon us many refer to this time of year as the cold/flu season. What do you do to help support your immune system to help better fight off these types of illnesses? There are quite a few things that can be done early on to help. If you are like most people, you know that catching these illnesses are inconvenient because most cases cannot be treated with anything like an antibiotic, most are viral and just need to run the course. I wanted to share some ways that will be beneficial to getting your immune system heightened and more easily ready to fight off whatever comes your way, even if you do catch something, the duration will be drastically shortened. Here are 5 things I do that help my family and I to stay well all year especially during the fall and winter months when colds and flu seem to go around most frequently.
- Take care of your gut health. My family does this by making sure to take a probiotic every night before bed, even my young children get one before bedtime. Another thing we do is drink this wonderful drink called Kombucha, if you haven’t tried it you need to! One last thing we do is try to eat fermented foods, for us it’s mostly sauerkraut. These things are all good for supporting your gut health which houses 70% of your immune system in your digestive tract! To find out more about the Probiotics we use go to https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/life-9
- Avoid drugs/OTC medications as much as you possibly can. Did you know that it takes roughly 3-6 months for your micro biome to heal after taking just 1 week worth of an antibiotic treatment? Yes, crazy I know! Also, pain killers damage your gut which in turn lowers your immune system. We use this awesome pain cream that is all natural and doesn’t cause harm to your body, check it out. https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/cool-azul-pain-relief-cream
- Drink your bone broth! I know you remember when you were a child and heard about eating chicken noodle soup when you were sick. So yes, drink bone broth. It is highly nutritious and helps reduce inflammation and heal your gut. It can also help with your sleep and help you to lose weight!
- Superfoods! These are foods that can offer some very important nutrients that can power pack your meals and snacks. Some examples are wolf berries/goji berries and berries of any kind, fish, nuts, yogurt, manuka honey and leafy greens. One thing we love to drink is this antioxidant and nutrient packed supplement drink.
- Take care of yourself!! That’s right, do good things for yourself and make your health a priority. Are you getting enough quality sleep? Are you exercising at least 3 days a week? What about your stress management? You can’t take care of others if you are running on E!! One thing I love to do before bed is take a soak in the bath with some relaxing essential oils and just let the stress of the day wash away. Also I take this supplement before bed because it contains melatonin which helps me sleep better but also has other goodies in it that help support my immune system.
These are just a few things that we do to help keep us healthy. I hope this has been educational for you. If you would like to learn more, feel free to reach out anytime! Stay well.